If you decide to visit Rijeka in winter months it is good to know that you have plenty of stuff to do and enjoy. From skating, skiing with a sea view, winter swimming in the sea to some crazy local parties during the Carnival time. Here is some things to do in Rijeka in winter time:
1. SKATING. Located just a step from the sea, on „Karolina gat“ Skating rink is usually open from early November. Great for kids of all ages and for adults as well. After skating session try “fritule”, local desert that looks like little ball. Try them with sugar or add chocolate topping.
2. SKIING. Only 40 km from Rijeka there is a mountain Platak. It is a small but beautiful ski resort, perfect for children and adults. Just a short drive from Rijeka this scenic resort is something worth visiting because this is the only ski resort in Croatia with a sea view. Furthermore, visit it even if there is no snow, it is just a breathtaking. Perfect place to warm up after ski session is a restaurant “Planinarski dom Platak”. Try delicious homemade specialties such as wild meat gnocchi goulash.
3. RIJEKA ADVENT – take a stroll on beautifully decorated Korzo and check many stands that sells souvenirs, local food and drinks. Warm yourself with a boiled wine, dance on local music and feel the smell of delicious food and deserts.
4. SWIMMING POOLS KANTRIDA. Another idea for active winter vacation is to visit pools Kantrida and go for a swim. This closed pool complex is located right above the beautiful beach Kantrida. You can also just sit there and enjoy the beautiful beach view. Pools Kantrida are usually open every day, but check availability of the pools here: http://www.rijekasport.hr/hr/node/131
5. WELLNESS OPATIJA – Opatija is well known for its health tourism. For that reason there are many hotels with spa facilities. The best ones are: Thallaso wellness, Ambasador, Adriatic and Hotel 4 opatijska cvijeta.
6. NEW YEAR’S EVE – celebrating New Year in Rijeka is a special experience and you definitely won’t be disappointed with choice of events. The most popular and free celebration is on Korzo street where is a stage with a live music playing by popular Croatian musicians. Some clubs and bars have closed doors until 2 am, but after that it is free entrance for everyone.
7. RIJEKA’S CARNIVAL – one of the most visited Carnival in this part of Europe. Almost famous as Venetian, colorful Rijeka’s Carnival lasts about 3 weeks but the last day is a craziest day with procession through Korzo street. It lasts all day and night and brings more than 100.000 visitors and have more than 15.000 participants each year, locals and foreigners. Everyone’s going crazy and wearing the funny costume, even our Mayor and other public persons. At the beginning of crazy carnival days, our Major is handing over the keys of the City to the Master of the Carnival and the show can start! Updates for Rijeka’s Carnival check here: http://www.rijecki-karneval.hr/en/
8. FOOD – enjoy the food and boiling wine in various Rijeka’s taverns and restaurants. If you want lunch with a sea view or a mountain view, no problem. Rijeka has so many restaurants and bars with great view and delicious food. Some of them are: Loža – Kastav, Trsatika – Trsat, Molo Longo – Rijeka center, Boonker – Center, Na Kantunu – center.
9. SHOPPING – some popular fashion stores like Zara, New Yorker, H&M, Benetton, Galileo, can be found in the center. However the best thing to do is to go to Tower shopping mall Rijeka. It is 5 level shopping mall and it can be easily reached using the freeway D404 from Rijeka center. Great view of Rijeka is from the top of Tower center.
10. WINTER SWIMMING IN THE SEA. Why not? In Rijeka and Opatija some people have tradition to swim even during the winter. There are men and woman ranging from age 20-90 who continuously go for a swim during the winter, every day, rain or shine, windy or snow. If you are very brave you can join them or if you’re like me, you can come to the beach and enjoy the party.
11. MUSEUMS. Some of the most interesting museums in Rijeka are located near the center. Maritime and history museum: http://ppmhp.hr/en/ Museum of modern and contemporary art: http://www.mmsu.hr/Default.aspx?sec=16 Computer museum Peek&Poke: http://www.peekpoke.hr/welcome/
If we convinced you to visit Rijeka in winter, CHECK HERE OUR WINTER PRICES FOR APARTMENTS: https://www.apartments-rijeka.com/apartments-rijeka/